Can’t tell the difference between the 2023 Ford Edge and 2023 Ford Escape? We’ve got you. By the end of our comparison guide, you’ll know whether you’re more of an Edge person or an Escape person. Now, let’s take a closer look at these Ford crossover SUVs.
- The midsize Edge is a little roomier than the compact Escape. But both Fords offer similar lists of available comfort features.
- Both crossovers come with the latest version of Ford's infotainment system, SYNC 4, and a collection of cutting-edge safety aids.
- The Edge is the more powerful option, but the Escape can potentially give you better fuel economy.
- As the midsize model, the 2023 Edge (starting at $37,945) costs more than the compact 2023 Escape (starting at $28,000).
Interior Space & Comfort
As you may have guessed, the midsize Edge is a little roomier than the compact Escape. That’s especially apparent in the cargo area, where the Edge hosts 39.2 cubic feet to the Escape’s 37.5 cubic feet. But the Edge’s cabin is also a little wider than the Escape’s, which translates into a few extra inches of shoulder room in both rows! Both models offer similar amounts of head- and legroom, however, and should be plenty comfortable for a family of five.
These Ford crossovers offer similar comfort features with different levels of availability. For example, the more expensive Edge comes standard with more items, including dual-zone automatic climate control. But this feature is also available as an option for the Escape. Depending on how much you want to spend, you can appoint each of these Fords with luxuries like leather upholstery and heated front seats.
Both crossovers come standard with the Ford Co-Pilot360 suite of safety aids! This package includes blind-spot warning and lane keeping assist, two features that can help you make it through a busy commute without a hitch.
These Ford models also come standard with the latest and greatest infotainment system, SYNC 4, which comes with the wireless versions of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity. In the Edge, you’ll find a standard 12-inch infotainment touchscreen. The Escape has a standard 8-inch touchscreen, but a 13.2-inch upgrade is available.
And both models offer similar upgrades, such as the available wireless smartphone charging pad, a Bang & Olufsen premium audio system, and remote engine start.
With the compact Escape, you can balance peppy power with fuel economy. The available hybrid engine, for example, earns up to 39 mpg combined (42 city/36 highway). If you want to hit the trail, these compact crossovers are also available with all-wheel drive.
The 2023 Escape offers four engine options:
- Turbo 1.5L three-cylinder engine (180 hp, 199 lb-ft) with eight-speed automatic
- Turbo 2.0L four-cylinder engine (250 hp, 280 lb-ft)
- 2.5L hybrid four-cylinder powertrain (192 hp, 155 lb-ft) with continuously variable transmission (CVT)
- 2.5L plug-in hybrid four-cylinder powertrain (210 hp, 155 lb-ft) with CVT
- Front-wheel drive
- Optional all-wheel drive
While the Escape is the thriftier option, the midsize Edge is the sportier one. For more power and impressive acceleration, this is your Ford! The Edge ST is an especially potent choice; it’s the only model that comes with the turbocharged V6 and a sport-tuned suspension. Like the Escape, the Edge is widely available with all-wheel drive, traction-boosting gear that will help you travel light trails in style.
The 2023 Edge is available with one of two turbocharged powertrains:
- Turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder engine (250 horsepower, 280 lb-ft of torque) with eight-speed automatic transmission
- Turbo 2.7L V6 (335 hp, 380 lb-ft) with seven-speed automatic
- All-wheel drive
Want to spend less on your all-American crossover SUV? Choose the 2023 Escape, which starts at $28,000. The bigger, sportier 2023 Edge starts at $37,945.
Your New Ford Crossover
In the end, choosing between the midsize Edge and compact Escape is about you. The Ford Edge delivers a sportier drive and more interior space. But the Ford Escape comes at a lower price and provides a thriftier drive!